Pages

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Salad, for breakfast

Weird, I know, but it's something I've been meaning to try and wouldn't have believed how good it was until I tried it.  


Salad base of greens - spinach, romaine, spring mix

Fresh fruit, chopped, any.  We've used apples, bananas, oranges, and frozen/defrosted berries.  Fresh berries work, as well, but it's not the right season for them yet.

Chopped walnuts, optional if you use a nut based dressing.  

Optional, dressing.  We've made Blueberry and Strawberry and both are delicious. 



This salad was our first attempt, with greens, fresh fruit, and walnuts.  I did notice the lack of dressing so decided to attempt a fruity one for our next try.



A super easy, sweet, delicious dressing.   Combine juice of one lemon, splash of almond milk or POM juice, a half cup of blueberries or other berries, and a bit of cashew or other nut butter.  




It's purple.   And good.  But definitely purple. 



We recently tried the same recipe but using strawberries instead of blueberries.  It made a very sweet, yummy dressing.    DS tried an orange segment dipped into it and asked for a glass of the dressing only (ha). 



Recycling glass jars for storage. 


Beautiful colors and flavors and lots of nutritious goodness - for breakfast.  

I try to look sad when I tell people I'm on a diet.  


No comments:

Post a Comment