Pages

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Greek Chickpea Salad with Lemon Tahini Dressing

Today is grocery shopping day, which meant trying to cobble together a lunch for Wayne with the barebones ingredients left in the refrigerator.    Because I had cooked chickpeas in there due to our recent obsession with roasting/baking them, I decided to try a recipe I came across recently.  Although I didn't have many of the ingredients listed, see *note below,  I did manage to make something that looked good, at least.  After I made it and brought his lunch to his truck, he remembered he had to take a customer to lunch, so we saved it for the next day...then I stole it for my own lunch. 

So glad I did - it was great! 

Greek Chickpea Salad

Serves: 1

Ingredients:

1 cup garbanzo beans
1/4 cup +/- minced onion
1/4 cup +/- minced red bell pepper
1/2 tomato, diced

Black pepper
Garlic powder
Cayenne, just a touch

1/2 avocado
Lemon Tahini Dressing (recipe below)

Combine the beans, chopped vegetables, and seasonings into a salad bowl.   Add avocado slices and top with fresh greens.   In the photo, the chickpea mixture is on the bottom, the lettuce on the top. 



We kept the salad like that so that the greens stayed crisp, or you could keep them separate until it's time to eat.  Then toss together...



and top with dressing. 



* Dr Fuhrman's version adds brazil nuts, cucumber, apple, potato, cilantro and balsamic vinegar. 


Lemon Tahini Dressing

Serves about 4

Ingredients:

Juice of one lemon
1-2 Tbsp tahini
2 Tbsp water 

Whisk ingredients together and store in the fridge until needed. 




4 comments:

  1. Glad I found your blog! I'm on ETL for 4 weeks and was looking for recipes. -Fay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Discovered your blog through Carrie's FB group. This looks delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made a mistake in typing the recipe and just changed it. It was supposed to be both 1/4 cup onon and red bell pepper. I had onion and red onion. Sorry!

    ReplyDelete