Pages

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Mac 'n' Cheez


While shopping for groceries last week, I saw a box of whole wheat macaroni and was inspired to finally try my hand at a Mac & Cheese recipe, nutritarian style.   I wanted beans in it for thickness and a bit of protein, and lots of vegetables for nutrition and for flavor, and carrots in it for color and sweetness.    Next time, I may try a bit of carrot juice, but I hated to haul out the juicer just for this little bit. 

It turned out great and passed the 8 year old and 18 year old taste tests.   They ate what I gave them and came back for seconds...I'm glad I tasted it before giving it to them or there'd be none left to try. 




Ingredients:

1/2 cup onion, diced
4 garlic cloves, diced
4 large mushrooms
2 large carrots, shredded

1/2 + cup cooked navy beans
About 1 cup uncooked dry macaroni, cooked to package directions

1 heaping tablespoon cashew butter
1/4-1/3 cup almond milk
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
seasonings - pepper, garlic, onion powder, dash of salt (optional)


Cook macaroni according to package directions.  Saute the onions, garlic, mushrooms, and shredded carrots until the onions are translucent and the carrots begin to soften.  Remove from heat, let cool, and then process in a blender or food processor until smooth.   Add cashew butter, almond milk, yeast, and seasonings and blend/process further. 

At this point, I mashed the navy beans with a fork, but you could add them to the food processor or even leave them whole.   When the macaroni is cooked, add the sauce on top with the mashed beans and stir.   Season further if needed, to taste. 

I didn't call it Mac & Cheese to the little guy until he said he liked it and did put a small pinch of skim mozzarella cheese on top to tempt him for the first dish.   By the second dish, he didn't need the cheese, just wanted seconds.  
 

1 comment:

  1. I doubled the beans on my third attempt to make this. The 8 year old didnt notice a difference but the 18 year old noticed the cashew ratio was less and didn't approve ;).

    ReplyDelete